Search This Blog

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Private: Paris by James Patterson (Private #10)

Private Paris (Private, #10)Private Paris by James Patterson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Jacket Blurb: Paris is burning--and only Private's Jack Morgan can put out the fire.

When Jack Morgan stops by Private's Paris office, he envisions a quick hello during an otherwise relaxing trip filled with fine food and sightseeing. But Jack is quickly pressed into duty after a call from his client Sherman Wilkerson, asking Jack to track down his young granddaughter who is on the run from a brutal drug dealer.

Before Jack can locate her, several members of France's cultural elite are found dead--murdered in stunning, symbolic fashion. The only link between the crimes is a mysterious graffiti tag. As religious and ethnic tensions simmer in the City of Lights, only Jack and his Private team can connect the dots before the smoldering powder keg explodes


Read as an audio book.

I greatly enjoyed the multiple narrators, however, there was something a bit off with the recording because I kept having to adjust the volume between the Louis and Jack narrator, and the gentleman reading the AB16 chapters. It also made it difficult to hear the names which is partly why I won't be using them in my review.

I did NOT like Justine in this one - she came across as needy (Jack, we need you here in LA!) when previous books have set up the whole of Private to be self sufficient, and I didn't like how she razzed Jack about dating. For a psychologist and as a former lover, it just came across as massively inappropriate.

I did like Jack's acknowledgement on how it was nice to date a woman who wasn't trying to pick apart his feelings nor analyze his every mood.

Mostly what I enjoyed and appreciated was the change in theme from a single psychotic nutjob to a terrorist group working to further their agenda. Previous books have found me completely skipping the antagonists for various reasons, but this time I felt more engaged listening to their plots unfold and wanting to know how the plot lines would converge.

I liked the setting in Paris. I liked how Jack and Louis worked together. I liked the love interest and really liked how Jack and the woman did NOT end up in bed with each other.

So while the terror plot had some flaws, I found the combination of multiple narrators, engaging characters, and the setting all made for a very enjoyable book.

If you're following the Private books, I recommend this edition.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts