The Chicken Caesar Salad recipe mentioned below in the Meal Plan is from Cooks Illustrated cook book and one I've made before. It's an awesome recipe if you like Caesar salad, the only downside being the raw egg yolks. I know there is some way to cook the yolks before using, but I can't recall where I saw the technique.
The Meal Plan:
Sun (L) leftovers of some kind (S) Chicken Caesar Salad
Mon (yoga) Leftover Caesar Salad
Tues - weenie wraps and tots again :D
Wed - Sweet Potato Taco bowl
Thurs (yoga) - leftovers
Fri - leftovers
Sat (L) more leftovers (S) pizza
Sweet Potato Taco Bowl (My Kitchen Love blog) gluten free, vegetarian option**
This came recommended from two sources, and it was a only a matter of time before it made it to the meal plan. This...is AWESOME!!
I posted the recipe as "written" from My Kitchen Love, but I had some rather significant modifications. It's that kind of recipe - you can't go wrong, really:
- I used 3 tbsp Penzey's Bold Taco Seasoning, divided (2/1) instead of mixing the spices below
- I skipped the meat and subbed instant brown rice instead
- Because I skipped the meat, I sauted 1/2 cup onion, tossed 1 tbsp taco seasoning in to bloom the spices, then added the corn and beans to heat through.
- Then assembled everything.
This comes together in about 30-40 minutes, from pulling out the cutting board and ingredients to putting bowls on the table. Depending on how much clean-up you want to do before sitting down.
|photo from My Kitchen Love blog|
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 lbs (454 grams) sweet potatoes, peeled and copped into 1-2" cubes (approx.)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lbs (454 grams) extra lean ground beef** (I skipped, subbing rice instead)
1 x 14 oz (330 ml) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn, either from can or 2 ears of corn (shucked and kernels removed from ear)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved OR 2 large tomatoes chopped
1 avocado, sliced
Optional additional garnishes, sour cream, jalapeños, sliced green onion, chopped cilantro leaves, lime slices, crumbles feta, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a small bowl mix together chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, oregano, garlic power, onion powder, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Toss sweet potatoes pieces with vegetable oil and half the seasoning mixture from the small bowl, about 2 tablespoons. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook beef over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes until cooked through. If necessary, drain any large quantities of fat from skillet, leaving about 1 tablespoon. Add beans and remaining seasoning mixture from the small bowl. Toss to fully coat beans and beef with seasoning. Continue to cook until beans are heated through.
- To serve either place all ingredients in separate dishes for family style serving, or make individual bowls before serving table.
- Serve with any desired optional garnishes.