Search This Blog

Monday, October 2, 2017

Recipe Review from 9/25/2017

By the time this is posted, I'll be off on An Adventure!  Stay tuned for where! 

Here's a little hint...
 
Meanwhile, I had my first Obedience Class this past week.  First session is sans pup - a meet and greet, class expectations and how-to.    Six more sessions with pup to follow, we'll miss the last one due to a scheduling conflict.   While I've trained all my dogs in the past - two previous puppies and one adult rescue dog (Andy) -  it's been almost 15 years since I've had a puppy and the intent is to hunt with Kepler, so I decided I should step up my game.  Stay tuned for more exciting Adventures With Kep!

Only one new dish to report on this past week.  

The Meal Plan for week of Sept 25:
Sat (L)  RGS Class Potluck  (S)  leftovers
Sun (L)  leftovers  (S)  "Hunter's Stew"
Mon (yoga/bkgrp/legion) leftovers
Tues - Black Bean Burgers
Wed - left burgers or stew
Thurs - The Husband's Choice
Fri -The Husband's Choice


Black Bean and Mushroom Burgers (Ckng Lght, Oct 2017)  vegetarian
This was easy enough to assemble, but I wasn't pleased with how gloopy it turned out even after letting the mixture stand for 15-20 minutes.  I was able to form patties, but I baked them rather than pan-frying. 

I also didn't do the avocado/red cabbage topping.  I had planned this recipe for a couple weeks ago, then procceded to eat the avocado with a different dish and completely forgot this one.   So I topped this with some chopped cilantro and white cheddar, and served open faced on a sourdough english muffin.

Overall, tasty enough, but not my favorite black bean burger recipe.

photo from cookinglight.com
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 ounces cremini mushrooms
1 (15-oz.) can unsalted black beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/3 cup whole-wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon water
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage

1) Place flaxseed, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, cumin, pepper, mushrooms, half of the beans, egg, and garlic in a food processor; process 1 minute or until almost smooth. Place bean mixture in a bowl; stir in remaining half of beans and panko.
 
2) Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high. Fill a 1/2-cup measure with bean mixture; add to pan. Repeat procedure 3 times to form 4 patties. Flatten patties slightly with the back of a spatula. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
 
3) Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, juice, and avocado in a bowl, mashing with a fork. Stir in yogurt and 1 tablespoon water. Divide patties among bottom halves of buns; top evenly with avocado mixture, cabbage, and top halves of buns.

No comments:

Popular Posts