Search This Blog

Monday, December 25, 2017

Recipe Review from 12/18/2017

Okay, I think I'm caught up again!  Last Monday's recipe review is posted (late) so scroll down and check it out as well.

And I admit, I've been a bit frazzled and I don't remember what I did for a couple of meals over the weekend.  We ate something....I just don't remember what!  And I know we went out for supper one night because the Husband had a hankering for steak. 

The Meal Plan from week of 12/18/2017
Sat - leftover hominy stew  (S)  Outback
Sun - more leftovers    (S) Gumbo
Mon (yoga/bkgrp/Legion mtgs) 
Tues (yoga) leftovers / make Texas Sheet Cake
Wed - Bolognese sauce/pasta
Thurs (yoga) leftovers
Fri (yoga) leftovers

Lunches - sandwiches  (it was that kind of week...)


Slow Cooked Chicken Gumbo  (modified, Slow Cooker Revolution by America's Test Kitchen) 

I made this recipe back in Oct 2014 and my thoughts are still the same.  With a solid hour of prep to make the roux alone, this is NOT a speedy dish to pull together.  

My thoughts on this haven't changed this go around: This involved making a roux for the slow cooker by lightly browning 1/2 cup of flour, then adding 1/2 cup of canola oil in a dutch oven and stirring till combined.  This mixture is then placed in a 350* oven and baked until the "color of a copper penny" or about 45 minutes.   Yup...you have to plan an HOUR ahead for this dish.

At which time this mixture is removed (it looks oily) and 1 diced green pepper, 1 diced red pepper, 2 stalks of diced celery, 5 cloves of diced garlic, 1 tbsp dried parsley, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper are added and cooked till soft.  Pour in 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock and bring to a simmer which lets the roux thicken  (did I mention this is already an hour into prep....for a slow cooker dish?).  This is poured over 2 bay leaves, 1lb of andouille, 2 lbs of cut-up chicken (recipe called for thighs, I used one of our home-raised birds), and 12 oz of sliced okra (fresh or frozen, thawed).

Cook for 6-8 hours on low.  I now have to pull out the chicken and de-bone. Stir meat back into pot. let warm and serve.  I did serve this over rice. 

I'm still a bit put out with the whole roux-in-the-oven bit, but it does work.  Was it worth the extra hour plus of prep for a slow cooker dish?   If you're doing this on a weekend, yes.  Still, A a slow cooker is about convenience, and is about as inconvenient as it comes.  That being said, the dish was flavorful, thick, and definitely a gumbo. 




No comments:

Popular Posts