Search This Blog

Monday, February 12, 2018

Recipe Review from 2/5/2018

Several recipes this week, but I have to admit, I was winging most of these.  I had leftovers that needed to be used up, I was a bit short on time, so I got creative.  Go me!  Downside, I forgot to take any pictures...  boo!    Oh well. 

Meal plan from week of 2/5:
Sat (L) leftover quinoa  (S) leftover curry
Sun  (L) Enchiladas    (S) homemade pizza
Mon (yoga) enchiladas
Tues - enchiladas
Wed - pasty
Thurs (yoga) homemade pizza
Fri (yoga) - homemade soup

Enchiladas (modified from ATK Slow Cooker Revolution)  gluten free  
Moving into the weekend, I had a significant amount of shredded chicken and sauce leftover from the Chicken Mole Tacos (reviewed last week).  I pulled a page from ATK's book, and turned the leftovers into a pan of enchiladas.  I will note, I thought the enchilada's were better than the original dish.

I took the mole sauce, strained it, and re-heated.  Then I proceeded with part of ATK's recipe below for the enchiladas.

Sauce
2+ cups of mole sauce from Slow cooked Chicken Mole, Cooking Light, Jan/Feb 2018, strained.

Enchiladas
2 cups shredded chicken
2 cups shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
**I used cohita cheese
1/2 cup minced cilantro
1 (4oz) can pickled jalapenos, drained and chopped
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas

1) Preheat oven to 350*.  Lightly oil a 9x13" pan and set aside.

2) Finely shred leftover chicken if not already shredded.  Add chopped pickles and cilantro and mix well.  Add 1 cup of sauce if necessary.   **Recipe added 1 cup of shredded cheese here - I skipped.

3) Using warmed tortillas (either on the stove, in the microwave, or grill), quickly fill each tortilla and roll to close.  Place each tortillla in a prepared pan until filling is gone, stacking tortillas if necessary.

4) Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese (I sprinkled with cohita cheese).  Cover and bake until heated through 10-20 minutes.   Serve with your favorite toppings! 


Homemade Bean and Ham Soup  (my kitchen!)  gluten free
This was a result of having a bunch of stuff in the fridge and pantry that needed to be used up.   I will admit, Husband assembled, I ate.  Yum!

3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
3 cups pre-cooked great northern beans
1 cup chopped previously cooked and shredded ham hock
1 onion, chopped
1 cup baby carrots (roughly), diced into small disks
1 tbsp tomato paste
oregano

(keeping in mind, I have no idea how the Husband cooked this, but this is how I would have assembled...)
1) saute onion, carrots, oregano and tomato paste 
2) add broth and water, beans and ham hock
3) bring everything to a simmer.  Adjust seasonings and serve. 

No comments:

Popular Posts