Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2018

Recipe Review from 5/21/2018

Well, I got a little loosey-goosey with the meal plan this past week and don't remember what exactly I planned - or made - a couple of days so below is kind a guess.  Except the recipe, I definitely made that.


The Meal Plan:
Sat - leftover Mushroom burgers
Sun - leftover Mini Pizza's
Mon (yoga/bkgrp/legion) out
Tues - Black Bean Taco Salad
Wed - Brats
Thurs - leftover brats
Fri - Fish Fry
Sat - leftover salad

Lunches - hummus and fruit

Black Bean Taco Salad  (CrunchyCreamySweet Blog)  vegetarian, gluten free
Super simple to assemble, tastes great, perfect for a potluck, lunches, or for company on a hot summer evening.  I used frozen corn, thawed, in place of the canned corn and I didn't toss the salad with the dressing ahead of time because I knew I would have leftover and I don't like how the lettuce gets "soggy". 

I served with some leftover cornbread muffins I had in the freezer, but corn chips and salsa would be good too.  This would also be good with a grilled chicken breast for added protein. 

Photo from CrunchyCreamySweet blog
Recommended!

For the salad:
  • 3 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
  • 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained well
  • 1 15 oz can whole kernel sweet corn rinsed and drained well  (I used 2 cups frozen corn, thawed)
  • 3 mini sweet red and orange peppers chopped
  • 1/2 medium red onion chopped  (skipped, not a fan of onion breath...)
For the dressing:
  • 1/2 cup sour cream  ( used drained greek yogurt)
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • 3/4 tsp ground cumin
Place lettuce, black beans, sweet corn, peppers and onion in a large mixing bowl. Toss gently together.

In a mini blender, combine sour cream, salsa and cumin. Blend until smooth. Pour dressing over salad. Toss gently to coat.  (I mixed well with a whisk, then set aside until serving.  I didn't dress the salad ahead of time because I don't like everything getting soggy.)

Serve immediately or refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Popular Posts