Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2018

Recipe Review from 6/4/18

Slowly we are getting caught up on yard work.  I've been out in my flower beds doing some weeding, purging and moving.  One hosta was pulled out because it was crowding my clematis, and divied up into three new places.  My balloon flower which has been fighting the grass for years survived the round-up (grass and yarrow were that bad) and moved to a different flower bed.  In the newly tilled area I tossed in some garden mix seed that I found in the back hallway - it's a couple years old so we'll see if it's still viable.

So gradually things are happening.   Now if the Pup would learn that "stay out of the garden" means, "stay out of the garden" and not "go lay down in the daylilies".   Goofball.


Yes, we all know you like rolling around in Mom's daylilies...

The Meal Plan from last week:
Sat  (L) leftover lunch from Fri   (S)  Potluck
Sun (L) leftover Broccoli mac and cheese   (S)  Chicken Caesar Salad
Mon (yoga)  Chicken Caesar salad or leftover soup
Tues - pork chops and potatoes on the grill  leftovers
Wed - Salmon  leftovers
Thurs (yoga) Salmon
Fri - salmon pasta salad
Sat (L) leftover pasta salad

Broccoli Mac and Cheese I posted about last Wednesday.  This was just as YUM as leftovers, when re-heated with a tich of milk. 

Chicken Caesar Salad is from Cooks Illustrated, grilling the chicken and assembling the salad separately.  I did coddle my egg yolk and I do use anchovy in my dressing.  Great summer salad. 

Salmon Pasta Salad is a recipe the Husband found years and years ago and became one of our favorites.

Salmon Pasta Salad (source unknown)
This has become a summer stand-by.  I used to make this using the canned salmon, but found grilled is a perfect substitute.  I use anywhere between 2/3 and 1lb of grilled salmon, simply seasoned, then chilled.  I also tend to use way more veggies than called for. 

15oz canned salmon, drained (or the equivalent of the salmon packets, or grilled salmon)
1 16oz pkg shell pasta (or about 5 cups of cooked pasta)
1/2 cup chopped carrots (I use baby carrots)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red, green or yellow pepper (I like red)
1/3 cup chopped kalmata olives
1/4 cup chopped green onions
parmesan cheese for topping

1/2 cup red wine vinegar (I've also used white wine vinegar and cider vinegar)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano

1) Prepare pasta according to directions on package for "al dente".  Rinse under cold water and drain well.  Let pasta dry slightly.

2) Prepare and combine salmon through green onions in a large bowl.

3) Prepare vinaigrette.

4) When pasta is mostly dry and slightly tacky, combine everything in large bowl.  Can eat immediately, but for best results, let chill at least an hour or so.  Serve with fresh grated parmesan. 



No comments:

Popular Posts