Search This Blog

Monday, January 29, 2007

Hammond Steak House, Superior WI

Well (note, this is said with a huff), this posting was supposed to be restaurant review for Le Bistro in Superior, a new 'fine dining' experience in the Twin Ports. However (also said with a huff), they wouldn't let us in! Yes! Tis true! It was 5:00p on a Saturday night, there were three occupied tables, and the soonest they would be able to fit us in was 8:00p. Yes! 8:00p! Did I mention there were only three (3) tables occupied in this restaurant that had easily upwards of 25? I looked at the advertisement again to confirm that 'walk-ins were welcome'. I guess not really.

So thus turned away, my folks and I went down the road to our favorite steak house, the Hammond. This is an unpretentious place, a working class restaurant so to speak, that serves some mighty fine food. And so my review will be about the Hammond, who didn't turn us away at 5:15p on a Saturday night and seated us immediately.

Duane and I have been going here for several years, forgoing the trendiness of Timberlodge, Ground Round, the Pickwick and Outback Steakhouse. The Hammond specializes in Angus steaks done very nicely. They also do an absolutely succulent char-grilled shrimp. The average age of this restaurant is probably, oh, 50, so we're usually amongst the younger people present.
The waitresses used to all be ancient and bring out the meals on dollies. The salad dressing still comes in little tri-tubs to the table and then is whisked away for the next customers. Rolls and crackers wait at each table, and the butter is so cold you have to warm it up under someones coffee cup. We noticed this evening that the waitresses were a bit younger, but the meals still came out on dollies.

For this particular meal my dad ordered a center-cut sirloin, mom - upon my recommendation -had the char-grilled shrimp, and I gravitated to the chicken kiev (the last place I know of that serves one). Dad said his steak was seasoned and cooked perfectly to his request. Mom's shrimp was fantastic, served upon a bed of wild rice pilaf with a baked potato on the side. My chicken kiev hit the spot, also served with wild rice pilaf and I had mashed potatoes on the side. Oh! Even the mashed potatoes were delicious! Creamy, buttery, delish.

Our only complaint, and it is hardly a complaint but more of an observation, is we felt it odd to be served a wild rice pilaf and a potato side. I suppose had I asked I could have gotten veggies, but I didn't think of it in time. Besides, I love a well done mashed potato. Actually two complaints, they still allow restaurant wide smoking. They do have a small section set aside for non-smokers, but it's a grudging concession for us non-smokers.

So if I ever get over my indignation at being turned away from a restaurant (really! I was turned away!) I may go back and review Le Bistro. In the meantime, I direct the humble reader to try out the Hammond. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Azazo444 said...

Hey Kris, Tess here! I just told Nathan we now have proof the Hammond is the place for a steak! I always see the add in the Sunday paper, but we've never gone. Now I have a reason! :)

Popular Posts