Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Podcasts!

So my reading is down a bit this Fall - with the trip to Kansas City, Oregon, and Michigan, it was easier to plug into podcasts than an audio book.  Since I'm diligent about posting my book reviews, I thought I should dedicate a post to a few podcasts that I enjoy.

This is a very eclectic mix of podcasts, I'll admit that right up front.  I usually listen to a combination of these when I'm waiting on my next audio book to arrive at the library, if I need a break from audio books, or if I'm knitting in the car (I'm not driving!).  The great thing about his selection is they are all available on iTunes, so I can download and listen to at my leisure. 


Splendid Table hosted by Lynne Rossetto Kasper   (National Public Radio)

This is my foodie fix podcast.  I enjoy how the show bounces between food awareness, political food concerns, international food concerns, cook books and authors, Jane and Michael Stern's Roadfood, recipes of all kinds, beverages, seasonal cooking, unique or not so unique ingredients and how to use, and more.

I see as I type this that Splendid Table has now paired with America's Test Kitchen - how awesome is that!  Ooo...I should check out that podcast...

My small complaint with this podcast would be the segments are often too short and just aren't able to fully explore the topic in a meaningful way.  Ultimately, I enjoy the diversity Splendid Table covers in the food world.  Published once a week.


Me! At Stash!
Stash Local Podcast hosted by Sonja Ruyts (owner) Alas, the podcast link isn't working!  Link goes to Stash's webpage.  Stash Podcast can be found on iTunes.  

What I enjoy about the Stash podcast is Sonja talks to other people about running your own business, the creative process, how people are able to stay motivated and creative, and the challenges of life.  It's not a "how to knit" podcast.  It's more a exploration of being creative while staying grounded and running a business. Sonja has interviewed a local photographer, a jewelry designer, a sewing designer, several knitting designers, several spinners/dyers/yarn creators and more.

My only tiny complaint with this podcast is sometimes the sessions come across as a group of business owners lamenting how hard it is to raise kids and run a business.   Ultimately, the interviews are well structured, conversation is nicely paced, and the topics cover a wide variety of creative endeavors.   Published about twice a month.   Season one is available. Not sure if Season two has started. 


Daniel Post Senning and Lizzie Post
Awesome Etiquette hosted by Lizzie Post and Daniel Post Senning  (Infinite Guest)

From the podcast: The great-great-grandchildren of Emily Post, Lizzie and Dan have taken up the mantle of answering the pressing etiquette questions of the day.  They’ve been regular contributors to the Dinner Party Download, and with Awesome Etiquette, they now have their own podcast with which to dispense advice on traditional topics like dating and entertaining to the wild frontier of the Internet.

Etiquette.  Cheesy, right?  No!  I find the topics and discussion anything but cheesy!   This is absolutely fascinating because the topics are relevant to today's world and encompass everything from family, friends, in-laws, work situations, social groups, and random chance encounters.  The rapport between Lizzie and Dan is great, they are willing to disagree with each other and explain why.  They offer listeners options on how to handle situations and I love how they'll come back to listener topics if they get a slew of feedback.  Every now and then again, Lizzie will read something from Emily Post in a historical context - what a enjoyable look at how times have changed, and yet, they haven't. 

My only complaint with this podcast are the "commercials" and little sound bites.  Just a few to many for my taste, but I suspect a necessary evil because funding has to come from somewhere!   Published either bi-weekly or weekly.  I either download through iTunes or click on the website for something to listen to while at work.


Welcome to Night Vale 
Written by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor.
Narrated by Cecil Baldwin.
Music by Disparition.
Logo by Rob Wilson.

WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.
Turn on your radio and hide

I will admit up front, I am about a year behind on this one.  Just not enough time in my week (months?). 

This is not for everyone.  This is weird, bizarre, done in the style of a radio program; think Prairie Home Companion but as if Prairie Home companion were set in an alternate reality where nothing makes sense.   There are regular weather reports (my favorite!), traffic updates, trouble with the School Board run by the Glow Cloud (All Hail!), regular elections for Mayor, a Five Headed Dragon,  the dog park which shall not be named, hooded figures in the not spoken of dog park, trouble with management in the Radio Station, and more.  Oh so much more.

A book was published in the Night Vale universe about a year ago and was eagerly read by our book group.  I am sad to report, book was not enjoyed by any of us - Night Vale fans included.  I think it was decided unanimously to be third worst book.  Alas.

Quirky and weird about sums this one up.  Some times it is a bit too quirky and weird.  But that's okay. 

No comments:

Popular Posts