Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2007

Winzer Stube, Hudson, WI




My travels to the Cities over Easter Weekend also brought me to the Winzer Stube in Hudson. This is a German restaurant that has been receiving acclaim in the Twin Cities and metro areas as being very good and authentic. My folks were very kind to my request to go here for dinner when I came down to visit.

We had reservations but they weren't necessary for a Thursday evening. I think on a Friday or Saturday these would be a must. The space the restaurant occupies used to be a couple of other restaurants who have since faded from memory, but the inside was much as I remembered it but with German accents. In fact, we were seated in the same booth I had sat in the last time I visited the space (different restaurant) umpity years ago. The low ceilings and wooden beams really contributed to a Old World feel and I could almost imagine myself back in Tubingen.

My folks ordered a pilsner and an ale, I stuck with hot lemon water as I was feeling a bit tired from my travels. Then the ordering began: I chose the rolladen with spatzle and cabbage, the Mother ordered the tenderloin in spatzle with mushroom gravy and the Father had a sausage plate. While waiting for the food, I sampled the ales my folks ordered and found them to be cold and delicious. It was a shame I was tired otherwise I would have gotten one. A small loaf of warm homemade bread with whipped unsalted butter was brought to the table to tide us over. Very good.

The food came after an acceptable wait and was piping hot. My plate was full with spatzle. red and white cabbage, and two substantial rolls of "rolladen" - thinly sliced and pounded meat wrapped around a pickle spear and a slice of bacon and poached and baked. Delicious. Now the Mothers dish came in it's own little pot and was absolutely fantastic. I kept stealing some of her gravy to put over my spatzle. I didn't sample any of the Fathers as I had plenty of my own, but he consumed it all so I can only figure it was good. Nobody left hungry and the leftover spatzle and rolladen went home with the parents for later.

Approximate prices:
Rolladen plate: $16.00
Tenderloin in Gravy: $22.00
Sausage plate: $15.00 (I think)

4 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

I like Winzer Stube. I've had the rouladen, but prefer the jagerschnitzel. In fact, I was planning to go there tonight with my parents for a birthday dinner, but they're closed on Tuesdays, so we'll probably go to Mama Maria's instead.

I think the decor is a bit too cluttered and junky, myself. The food is really good, though. And the portions are huge.

Sarah O G said...

I ve always wanted to try there but never had the chance.

Sarah O G said...

Mmmm, mama marias

Kristin said...

I *really* liked what the Mother had: the tenderloins with spatzle in a mushroom gravy sauce. Actually I could go for a big plate of just spatzle and I would be very happy.

I haven't been to Mama Marias in ages...actually, I think I've only been there once about 5 years ago.

Popular Posts