Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Knitting, Project #2, Sister's Scarf

Round about Minicon weekend, I joined up with my friend and our adventures took us all around St. Paul and Mpls. One place we visited was the Yarnery on Grand Ave where I purchased some yarn for projects for both my sisters (K2 and K4). K2 requested a scarf in antique pinks and I found a blended yarn in a lovely dusty pink in just the weight I wanted. I also bought yarn for K4's scarf and hat - she requested blue-reds. And I just had to buy a nifty pair of birch needles (in picture below). And I needed some circular needles. And I needed some double point needles...

Anyway, I decided to start K2's scarf as I had a teacher handy over the Minicon weekend. She showed me how to purl and knit in the round. The purling was a necessary lesson as K2's scarf pattern was a ribbed scarf where I would be knitting two, purling two. The knitting in the round would be for K4's hat but I will be posting on that later.

This was a delightful and quick project. I did have to make a quick run back to the Yarnery the weekend following Minicon (I was down for a yoga workshop) as I realized I didn't have enough yarn to complete my project. One skein only gave me 2'. Eeep! I had also modified the pattern so her scarf would be 6" wide rather than 5". 5" was just a bit to narrow given the length of the overall scarf. Final length was about 5.5'.


Pattern: Knitting by Jennifer Worik, Taking a Ribbing Scarf, pg 40
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn, Encore Chunky, 75% acrylic/25% wool. 143 yds.
Store: The Yarnery, Grand Ave, St. Paul
Needle Size: #10

2 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

You're done already? Goodness, you seem to be hooked. Tonight I am going to finish my first sock, and there will be much rejoicing. Then, of course, I'll have to start over and make the second one.

Kristin said...

I was actually done with it about a month ago, but I just got around to posting it now. Kate's hat is done too, but I haven't started her scarf yet.

I mailed it to the sister last week at work as a surprise. :)

Popular Posts