Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2007

Pantry Reduction Month

It has been nagging at me for quite some time...I open the upstairs freezer and I am confronted by tidy buckets of food set aside for Special Occasions. Or I find myself rooting around in my chest freezer in the basement, moving aside frozen packages of samosas, vegetable pot stickers, and ravioli's or the pureed pumpkin and blanched green beans, all carefully packaged and set aside for some Special Occasion.

I recall making most of them. I even recall what most of the tubs are - there are only a couple mystery tubs. I think one is the spicy enchilada sauce from 2005. Not sure though. It could be the homemade marinara sauce. And the green beans should really be used up as I think they are from garden year 2004. And heavens! How did I accumulate so many frozen bananas?

So what, pray tell, are these "Special Occasion's" that I have so carefully stockpiled food for? Well...there is the imminent "planting season" at work, where I put in long hours several days a week and have no time to cook meals or grocery shop. And there is the imminent, "Monday after a Cities run" where I don't always have time to get to the grocery store for lunch or supper fixin's. And...I guess I don't know what else. I just know that having some meals on hand is always a good idea. Until...I find have too much.

So! I have decided to declare May my Pantry Reduction Month! For the month of May (and maybe June) I am going to clean out my freezer and cupboards. I've included my cupboards as well because sometimes I just need to pare things down a bit.

Week 1 results:
Wheat Berry Chili (Eating Well)
Corn muffins (Cooking Light)
Butternut Squash and Pinto Bean Stew (Cooking Light)
barley (used 1 uncooked cup for Bean and Barley Burritos)
used up the last of my pepitas for the squash stew
1 pkg chocolate chips (chocolate chip cookies)

1 comment:

Gail O'Connor said...

Good for you! I have a fairly small freezer, and have been chucking out things that I realistically don't think I'll eat, or which look like they've been there too long.

This weekend I made overnight waffles and homemade chicken soup, both from Staff Meals at Chanterelle, which is one of my favorite cookbooks. The waffles turned out really well, but didn't reheat so well this morning in the toaster oven. I am not quite sure what to make of the soup--I have to do a luncheon at work next week and one person can't eat any gluten, so this recipe was an experiment. I think it's good enough to serve, but I'm not positive. I think I'll send some home with my mom tomorrow and ask what they think of it.

Popular Posts