Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Epiphany! or "How I Learned to Clean my House" Part II

Other than buying a copy of the book I mentioned in the previous post, I have obtained all my environmentally friendly cleaning supplies! It wasn't as much as I thought it would be to get the essential oils, some vegetable glycerin and some liquid castile soap, though it did take some searching while at the co-op and my co-op is just not that big. I'm also fairly certain I could get these products for a lot less off the internet, but I wanted instant gratification. Tsk!

I bought a small bottle of Lavender essential oil and Tea Tree essential oil as these two came up most in Better Basics for the Home of the essential oils. This is probably due to the natural detoxifying properties of these two and that is what I wanted.

Here's a rough breakdown of what it has cost me so far to go "green":
$2.77 - 2 spray bottles for tea tree mixture and lavender mixture
$1.49 - 1 med spray bottle for vinegar mixture
$2.99 - 2 new sponges (gotta start with new sponges!)
$5.59 - 1 sm bottle of Dr. Bonner's castile liquid soap (recommended brand)
$4.75 - 1 sm bottle of vegetable glycerin
$9.59 - essential oil of lavender
$7.59 - essential oil of tea tree
$5.00 - 1 gal of vinegar (??)
$4.00 - 1 sm box of baking soda (??)
$0.00 - 2 med spray bottles already on hand
$43.77 Total

Now that might seem like a lot, but all of this should last me a goodly long time (I figure several months at a minimum. What I'll need to resupply more frequently will be the baking soda and vinegar, but those don't cost much in the grand scheme of things and I can use them for baking and cooking as well. Gotta like that! Multipurpose.

Anyhoo, after I got home last night and started supper (the Husband wasn't home yet) I mixed up my two spritzers and tested them out. The book warned about the tea tree being strong for a couple of days, but I didn't find the scent that offensive. So either I didn't mix the right amount - it's hard to measure drops into teaspoons and I didn't want to get essential oil all over my kitchen implements - or it wasn't that strong to me. The other items are a mix as needed so I set them aside.

With the husband forewarned, I shall go forth and clean! I hope my septic system thanks me for this...

No comments:

Popular Posts