Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2007

Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper

This was November’s book group selection.

Yes...I just finished it....Not because it was bad, or slow, but because I was slow. Too much going on.

Little Fuzzy is set on the planet Zarathura. Jack Holloway, a sunstone prospector, comes home one evening and finds a small, cute, fuzzy, little critter-person in his house. He has never seen anything of it’s like in all the years he’s been living and working on the planet and after a few apprehensive moments, the two get along just dandy. In the coming days, Little Fuzzy, as Jack names him, brings the rest of his family to live with Jack. In the coming days, Jack begins to realize these little creatures are much, much smarter than he initally realized.

Jack contacts some scientific type people he knows and suddenly the ramifications are rippling through the planets controlling force, the Company. If these are sapient creatures then the Company must forgoit’s right to the planet and the planets classification changes. This is bad news for the Company.

The remainder of the book involves the Company trying to deny the Fuzzy’s (fuzzy fuzzy holloway Zarathura) are sapient while Jack and his gang try and prove they are. The outcome of this little trial will change the current definition of "sapient" from talks-and-builds-a-fire to something much more far reaching. The plot concludes in a courtroom drama reminiscent of any of the court shows on TV today.

The book was published in 1962 and had some interesting quirks. For example, everyone smokes. Seriously. Everyone was pulling out a pipe, cigar or a cigarette and smoking. But then they would "phone call" by view screen and "shake hands" in the Chinese fashion. And this one always gets me, they would travel by hover car, but still used revolvers and shotguns.
Still, I would recommend this one, just because it was an enjoyable read and I always like these older sf stories.

1 comment:

A. Lutzi Rockwell said...

Hey Kristin. I couldn't find your email so I thought that I would leave you a message here! I am reading a book right now called Mass Effect. It is a prequel to a video game that just came out. I think it is the first time that this have ever been done. I plan on getting the video game next month some time after I read the book. I know you don't play video games, but do you want the book when I am done with it? The reviews say that it isn't that great, but I think it has been a bit enjoyable (I don't read many sci fi however). Let me know. adrockwell@yahoo.com

Popular Posts