Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Rice Paper, Mpls, MN in Linden Hills

It’s been quite a while since I’ve done a restaurant review. I guess I haven’t been eating out at too many new places of late. The Husbands work schedule probably is what’s dictating that, he has Wednesdays and Thursdays off, I have Saturday and Sundays off, plus he works till 8:00p two nights a week.

But as usual I digress! I was down in the Cities for an intensive yoga workshop two weekends ago and an acquaintance and I, plus a very lovely gal he knew from Madison, went out for dinner together. It was great being able to talk yoga and philosophy and explore how we all approach teaching in different ways.

Rice Paper, an Asian Fusian restaurant, was recommended to us by a local. I think we decided to go there because it was close to the studio and we wouldn’t have to drive so far to return to our respective abodes. This is a very small, intimate restaurant that does some hoppin’ business! It’s tucked into this quaint neighborhood called Linden Hills, not far from Lake Calhoun and Harriet. All the storefronts are from days gone by and it’s an eclectic mix of shops and restaurants. There was a tea house that I stole a peek into as we walked back to the car. Had I had two functioning brain cells I would have recommended tea after dinner, but I think we were all pooped from the workshop.

My acquaintance and I ordered the Pad Thai - he with chicken, I with the tofu puffs. Our dining companion ordered some spring rolls, served with a peanut sauce. I had to decline the peanut sauce as I just don’t do peanuts or peanut butter. Still, the rolls were fresh and bright tasting. I think she ordered the Lunar Clay Pot - steamed tofu with pea pods, black mushrooms and slivered carrots in a fresh ginger sauce served over jasmine rice.

The waitstaff was helpful and friendly, though our waitress neglected to bring the green tea for our third dining companion as ordered. The food arrived to order (mine without peanuts). I don’t eat enough Vietnamese or Asian food to really know what is what, so I was a bit surprised when I dug in and found my choice to be a cold dish. I was hoping for warm Pad Thai. Everything tasted very fresh, the flavors bright and crisp across the tounge and, well, I ate everything.
We all felt it was a good restaurant but I think our opinions were somewhat muted as what we all really wanted was Indian food. I would recommend Rice Paper to anyone who would like to step out at bit. Prices were very reasonable, I did not go away hungry, and I would go back again.

No comments:

Popular Posts