Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2008

The Last Colony by John Scalzi

Hugo Nominee 2008, Review #1

I'm going to Worldcon in Denver this year (I've been to Chicago and Boston in the past) and part of participating in Worldcon is you get to vote on the Hugos. Members can also nominate the books for the final Hugo listing, but I don't have enough time to hunt down and read the past year's eligible selections so I content myself with reading the nominee's in the Novel category.

I have until July 7 to get these read so I best get going!


The Last Colony is book three in a series that follows John Perry and Jane Sagan, former Colonial Defence Forces, ret., and former Special Forces for the Colonial Union, ret. They have been living on a established colony world for several years and are now approached by CDF to be leaders of a new colonial expansion. After some consideration, they agree.

After the ship arrives in orbit around Roanoke, they realize something is not right. From there, events quickly spiral downhill as they find out the colony is part of a greater plot by CDF and they themselves are mere pawns in an interstellar game of cat and mouse.

I like Scalzi's books. They have a great blend of space adventure, new concepts, cool people, and optimism about the future. There isn't a singularity in sight. Not that I don't like the whole singularity concept, it's just that I prefer good old fashioned space adventures over convoluted mathematical concepts.

No comments:

Popular Posts