Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Nebula Awards 2008 ed. Ben Bova


My science fiction book group has been reading the Nebula Award selection since 2003. I'm not entirely certain what made us pick up that first one, or even the second, but it's a given come May, we will be reading the newest one. We don't even have to vote when it's on the table.

I thought this years was the strongest compilation I've read yet. This is not saying I felt that every selection was a knockout, but by and far, most of the stories were engaging, interesting and well written. Of particular note were, Burn by James Patrick Kelly and Two Hearts by Peter S. Beagle. I did find some irony in reading The Listeners by James Gunn, a short about people who work on the SETI project because I just finished Rollback by Robert J. Sawyer which was also on the SETI project.

It dawned on me after I finished Beagles short, that I don't think I've ever read The Last Unicorn by him. Shame on me - it is considered a classic. Once I get through my 2008 Hugo Nominees I'll have to fix that.

I will also admit that I am not a huge fan of short stories, but it's good to challenge ones boundaries every once in a while. I guess that's why I've liked my book group so much, it's broadened my reading circle over the years, introducing me to a whole slew of authors that I other wise wouldn't ever have touched on my own. That and they are a fun group of folks.

I recommend reading this years Nebula Awards Showcase.

No comments:

Popular Posts