Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2008

Recipe Review from 9/8/08

Wow. This is a first in a long time! No new recipes this week. I had a couple planned, but schedules and leftovers shifted them to this coming week. I did make a repeat recipe and tried out a news spice, so I'll review those.

Simple Italian Meat Sauce (Cooks Illustrated, Mar/Apr 08, pg 8)
I reviewed this 2/8/08 and gave it a good rating. I had noticed in my notes that I had used buffalo then, and I used buffalo again this time. But for some reason, I was not as pleased with the results. I think it was because I made it in a saucepan instead of a frying pan and the burger did not crumble as I would have liked. The recipe also calls for draining the diced tomatoes, but I ended up putting all the liquid back in as it seemed to be a bit on the dry side when it came time to simmer. It again made a very decent amount, and I froze about 6 cups worth. Very handy to have some sauce on hand. You can read the original review here.

Photo from Penzeys.com

New Spice review: Penzey's BBQ 3000
The Husband wanted to do more dry rubs this summer when grilling, and on a visit to Penzey's I grabbed a small jar of this to sample. I thought a simple meal of grilled chicken, corn-on-the-cob and a salad would be delightful this past week, and picked out a package of chicken thighs (great for grilling) and a small package (is there such a thing? No! But that's another rant...)of bone-in chicken breasts. I sprinkled the seasoning on ahead of time and let it sit until I was ready to pull dinner together. I liked the seasoning well enough, but found it a bit on the salty side. But that could be me. I don't use a lot of salt in my cooking. Might have been the chicken too - it was very juicy. Still I think this is going to be a pretty versatile rub and will look for other ways to use it.


This coming week is also going to be a bit of a slow week recipe wise. I have one new one planned - a Black Bean Soup with Quesadilla's. It is my intent this week to use up some spinach turnovers with some meat sauce, plus I think I'll be going out to eat for at least one meal for the Husbands birthday. Don't know yet. He's been a bit indecisive about what he wants to do.

No comments:

Popular Posts