Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wild Ricing, 2008

I again had the good fortune to be asked to go wild ricing, and having immensely enjoyed myself in 2006 (after all, it did involve food,) I again happily accepted. As my ricing companion and his wife have done this for several years, he had all the equipment at hand. I only had to provide myself with beverages, lunch, and one ricing permit.

The last time I went was about Sept 12, 2006, and it was very chilly. I was bundled up in my rain suit with long sleeves under that. At least with it being chilly the spiders and worms aren't nearly so active.



This year was a bit different. We were out earlier (Labor Day weekend) and it was hot! hot! hot! Luckily there was a beautiful wind blowing which kept my friend (who was in charge of poleing us around) cool. Not so good for me as it would blow the grass over and I couldn't get the stalks into the canoe.

We had a great time - the sun was shining, the wind was blowing, the ducks were moving around (saw a beautiful blue winged teal) and there was NOBODY else out there! Don't know why. I did better this year too: I harvested about 80lbs unfinished rice. This should make about 35lbs of processed rice.



I won't go next year, but in two years my goal is to try and harvest 100lbs in one day. I did 50lbs in 2006, and 80lbs in 2008, so I should be able to improve my technique and reach 100lbs for 2010. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

I've never even heard of "going ricing".

Gail O'Connor said...

What does processing the rice involve?

Kristin said...

Dee - come Fall, this is a huge industry for the Native American community in MN, WI and Canada, though nearly anyone can go do it if they have a small canoe, a pair of knockers, a huge tolerance for worms and spiders (which I don’t), and a strong poler.

Gail-
This is from www.wildricenation.com(a better description than I could type out)

“Green wild rice harvested directly from the field consists of kernels at various stages of maturity and moisture content which are encased in a tough, fibrous hull. Green wild rice can neither be eaten nor stored as dry grain in this condition.

Therefore, the grain is processed to improve the flavor, lower the moisture content, and remove the hulls. Processing consists of separating immature kernels, fermenting or curing, parching, dehulling, and scarifying.”


I know that it is possible to process the rice on my own by “baking” it in the oven or “cooking” it dry over a fire, but I have heard the tendency to burn it is pretty high. Then there is the whole getting rid of the husks bit. It’s easier to just take to a processor who’s got all the equipment, the time, and knowledge. My batch was combined with my friends and his wife’s so there would be more to take to the processor.

Popular Posts