Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King


Initially I was looking forward to reading book 4, but after starting it, and starting it again, then setting it aside, and setting it aside again and having made my way through about 2/3 of the book - I decided I wanted to know what was going to happen NOW and skimmed the rest.

To say this was wordy is the understatement of the year. To say the plot moved slowly would be the understatement of the century. Even sitting in an airport for three hours didn't help. This is not to say King can't write, because the writing is brilliant, I felt the plot slogged along in the mire of a world that was moving on.

Book 4 is supposed to be Roland's history. I was...expecting more. To greatly sum up, it was a snapshot of a year in the life of a banished 14yo who falls in love with a young gal who is under a curse. OF COURSE it's going to end badly. We are talking Stephen King here. I guess I wanted to see more of Roland's world rather than just this one desolate place in time.

So it was a rather disappointing read and I was glad to return to the main story line at the end.

No comments:

Popular Posts