Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Garden Update, May 09

This past weekend was the first time this year I was really able to get out into the yard and garden and get some decent work done. The ground had thawed and was mostly dry, it was nice and sunny, the wind was blowing briskly enough to keep temps on the cool side.

I've puttered a little bit in the yard before this - I got the front and side yard raked, dog poo picked up (when you have two dogs and it's been a long winter, there is A LOT to pick up), and some of the residual garden debris cleaned out of the beds.

On Saturday, I was able to start working the soil in the beds. I have eight 4' wide by 16' long garden beds, and about 6 flower beds of various sizes. I got two garden beds tilled so the soil will warm faster, and one flower bed tilled up.


The hounds are less than impressed with my new statuary.

On Sunday, the folks came out with my cement Japanese pagoda and to help with a bit of yard work. The Dad and I moved rocks and sand while the Mother weeded my most neglected flower bed. This raised bed has my peony's, miniature daylilies, and some iris and was being over taken by crabgrass. Crabgrass is my penultimate enemy - it gets into everything!

Landscaping around the house - last side!



The main garden. Clickity clickity to make it bigger.

Where I live I am in gardening Zone 3 - I shouldn't even THINK about planting seeds until Memorial Day weekend. But I did - my Aunt Connie gave me a packet of seeds last winter and I planted them yesterday. I had instructions to plant them last fall, but with my soil and temps, I know they would have just rotted. We are expecting some rain and warmer temps this week, and the bed is on the south side of the house, so we'll see if this works.


The peony bed. They are just starting to come up!

No comments:

Popular Posts