Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Oolong Dead by Laura Childs (Tea Shop #10)


Book 10 in the Tea Shop Series. This books are fluff mystery/brain candy to me, something I read between my scifi books. I finished this one in a day - they go that quick.

The premise of Oolong Dead is: Theodosia finds herself tangled in another murder, finding the body of her ex-boy friend’s sister on a steeple chase course. It doesn’t help that she had a rip-roaring fight with the now deceased TV anchor several months ago in front of witnesses. Theo is drawn further in the web of intrigue when Jory – the ex-boy friend – show’s up at her tea shop, asking her to help solve Abby’s murder. Soon after, Detective Burt Tidwell also puts in an appearance to ask the same thing.

Theodosia’s snooping takes her down to Savannah, out into the low country to the Mobley Plantation, and to an Italian Masked Ball. But the big question throughout the book, is how will she afford to buy the Carriage House Cottage of her dreams down by the Battery? (Which, having just been to Charleston, SC, and seen how MUCH it costs to live in the Historic District, is indeed a very good question.)

Like I said, a very quick read. I am finding Childs conclusions a bit to pat and to quick – I think the resolutions could be fleshed out just a bit more. I always feel like there could be just a bit more explanation at the end – one more chapter to wrap things up after the “climatic capture of the criminal”.

I did find myself being jarred out of the story once – Theo is zooming around the salt marsh on a Ski-Doo (which I have issues with for environmental reasons, but that aside), “Overhead, a pileated woodpecker drilled noisily into a tree and…” Ahh…no. Between the sound of the Ski-doo and the wind in one’s ears, a person is NOT going to hear even a pileated woodpecker.

So, anyway, fun read and I look forward to the next.

No comments:

Popular Posts