Search This Blog

Friday, July 10, 2009

Nebula Awards 2009 ed. Ellen Datrow


For the last, oh, eight? years now when this comes out in May, my science fiction book group reads it. We don't even have to vote on the selection. As soon as it hits the table we KNOW what we are going to read for the month of June.

Nebula Awards 2009 was an excellent selection of shorts, excerpts and essays. What was interesting, I thought, was each member of book group had one story they intensely disliked, but no one person had picked the same story. It made for an interesting discussion.

I won’t review every story, but included in the 2009 edition(which represents 2007 winners) are:

(From 2007)
Best Novel: The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
Best Novella: Fountain of Age by Nancy Kress
Best Novelette: The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate by Ted Chiang
Best Short Story: Always by Karen Joy Fowler

I don’t have my book in front of me and Amazon.com didn’t have “look inside” on this one so I can’t tell you what the other four stories were. You’ll have to take my word for it that they were good. Except the one I didn’t like...but I won’t tell you what that one was either because everyone else at book group liked it.

This was worth reading.

No comments:

Popular Posts