Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2009

Texas Thursday

Thursday it was time to bid adieu to our gracious hosts at the San Gabriel B&B. I can't say enough what a lovely time we had, granted, it helped that we were the only ones there.

We didn't have to be back to Killeen, TX, until well into the evening, so we decided to make our way to Fredricksburg, TX, about 1 1/2 hours to the west. Until recently, this was predominantly a Germanic community and many of the original buildings still make up the town, except now they are kitchy stores, antique stores and crafters.





We started out at the Fredricksburg Brewery. The Husband was pleased to be seated a) by a window and b) where he could watch the brewmeisters in action. They make their beer right there behind the bar in big stainless steel tanks so the whole room is infused with the delightful aroma of fermenting yeast. Well, I think it's delightful... I had a glass of some local wine, a Cabernet blend that was very much like a Lambrusco and he had a brew.



After lunch we just wandered up and down the street. We're not into the kitchy stores, but I popped into a couple looking for a small souvenir to take back. I finally settled on a wrought iron star of Texas that I can hang outside. It seemed like EVERYONE in this part of Texas had a Texas star SOMEWHERE on their house, inner state, building, office, gate, you name it, it was there. I just wish that I had thought ahead and had been taking pictures of all the different varieties as that would have made a cool collage to frame and hang up.



We didn't stay long as we still had a two hour drive in front of us and there is only so much walking one wants to do in 105* heat. As nice as I thought it was, my poor feet were getting blisters from all my shoes!

Alas, there ends our trip to Texas. I really loved the Hill Country and I look forward to going back someday!

No comments:

Popular Posts