Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2009

Endymion by Dan Simmons


This is my science fiction book group selection for August. I actually read it back in 2000 after I read Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, which still rank in my top 10 best science fiction books.

Because I'm posting this before our meeting, I won't give anything away and to simplify matters further, I've copied the blurb from the back of the book:

Endymion, onetime shepherd and convicted murderer, is chosen as a pawn in a cosmic game whose outcome will determine the fate of humanity. Selected as a bodyguard to the next messiah, Endymion will cross time, space, and the very fabric of reality as her protector, lover, and finally disciple. At the same time, the enigmatic Shrike - part monster, part killing machine, part avenging angel - has also followed the girl into the 32nd century. Yet it is Endymion who has been chosen to rescue Aenea, against all odds. How will her message change the universe - if she is willing to speak it...and if humankind is prepared to hear it?

What the blurb doesn't mention is the presence of the Church, who is desperate to catch and destroy young Aenea. Captian-Father De Soya is chosen to seek out and detain at first, then later to destroy Aenea. It is against this huge galactic organization that Raul must protect his young charge.

This book was just as good as the first time I read it...though it probably helped that I had forgotten most of it so it was almost like reading it as new. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Popular Posts