Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Recipe Review from 1/26/10

Well, the Salmon and Black Bean Tostadas didn't get made again last week. Sheer laziness. It was easier to poach a couple of eggs and make some toast for dinner. Probably would have been just as easy to make the tostadas...((shrug)) oh well. They are on the menu for this week along with a Roasted Red Pepper and Carrot Soup and a Vegetable Korma.

In the meantime, I leave you with this recipe:

Minestrone with Sun-dried Tomatoes and White Beans (Veg. Times, Feb 2010)
I would love to link you to the VT site and original reicpe, but they are most insistent that it doesn't exist. So, you have my modifications as typed below.

This recipe is a bit different - no pasta! But very high in fiber. Flavor was nice and bright, reminiscent of the fall produce bounty with carrots, peas, garlic and beans. I did substitute Swiss Chard for the celery, and added the leaves in as well. Nothing like a bit of extra green in the winter time! One additional thing I have been pleased with regarding VT recipes is they frequently use dried herbs. Easier on the pocket book in the winter time!

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup Swiss chard (with leaves)
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup sliced sun dried tomato (I used in-oil variety)
1 15oz can white beans, drained
1 cup frozen peas
2 tbsp white vinegar

1) Heat oil in 3 qt saucepan over medium heat. Add oregano and basil, and stir 30 seconds. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.

2) Add sun-dried tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more. Add white beans and 4 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add peas and Swiss chard, and simmer for 5 minutes more. Stir in vinegar and season with salt and pepper if desired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In response to your comment on my blog:

I'm not going to order anything from PatternWorks. Nothing really stood out this time.

I'm REALLY trying to only buy what I find truly beautiful and shop more from my stash.

Popular Posts