Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

Recipe Review 5/10/10

Ugh. So hard to plan meals when I don't know if it's going to be warm and sunny, overcast and cool, or raining and snowing. After getting 2" of snow a week ago (yes, snow, in May) I was about to throw my hands up and call it quits.

However, fit in a couple new recipes despite the erratic weather:

Vegetarian Taco Salad (Eating Well, May/June 2010) 3.0
This ended up modified a bit. I prefer barley rather than rice, and after hauling three separate tubs to work for the salad, I put everything into a soft tortilla shell. A bit on the bland side for my taste, and very similar to a Ckng Lght recipe I have that is made overnight in the crockpot. Still, a nice change to standard Mexican and would be great for summer lunches. Follow the link in the title to the recipe.

Almost Meatless Sloppy Joes (Ckng Lght, May 2010) 4.0
These were a pleasant surprise. Made with just 6 oz of ground sirloin - which isn't a heck of a lot - and the rest mashed beans, carrots and tomato sauce they were saucy, sloppy and pretty darn good. Seasonings could have been upped a bit, and the Husband thought they could have been cooked down a bit more for cohesiveness they were nonetheless, flavorful and healthy. We would make these again.

No comments:

Popular Posts