Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Iron Kissed (Mercy #3) by Patrica Briggs

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

My rating: 2 of 5 stars




Jacket Blurb:
I could smell her fear, and it satisfied something deep inside me that had been writhing under her cool, superior gaze. I curled my upper lip so she could get a good look at my sharp teeth. I might only weigh thirty or so pounds in my coyote shape, but I was a predator...

Mechanic Mercy Thompson can shift her shape - but not her loyalty. When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to Mercy to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not.


Mercy's loyalty is under pressure from other directions, too. Werewolves are not known for their patience, and if Mercy can't decide between the two she cares for, Sam and Adam may make the choice for her...
It's not often I say this, but Iron Kissed Pissed. Me. Off. Why must a female character always be dragged through the mud emotionally and physically to advance the plot of the series? This is exactly what turned me off of David Weber's Honor Harrington books. Now, I am irritated with this series.

I knew Mercy was going to be brutally attacked (read the reviews on Goodreads and *some* people don't know to put "spoiler alert" in thier header), but still. It seemed so...contrary to the character as previously set up. Mercy has been portrayed as this strong, smart, independent woman who runs with wolves and fixes cars. She knows karate. She's killed vampires. Yet she manages to put herself in a situation to be brutally beaten leaving physical and emotional scars. Overkill, in my humble opinion.

Oh, but wait, she was magic'ed so that makes it okay.

Whatever.





View all my reviews

2 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

Eh. I completely understand why this book pissed you off, but it didn't piss me off. For one thing, she was trying very hard not to put herself in a dangerous situation. And secondly, she was the one who saved herself from her attacker, and I think that's very important. Bad stuff happens, but she's not a damsel in distress who needs someone to rescue her. She handles it, in a believable fashion. Which places this miles ahead of most fiction about women in peril.

Kristin said...

Very true and I agree.

But it is still the premise of the plot devise, that at some point a female character is going to end up in a very. bad. way. that just ticks me off. It's like the vulnerability of the 'fairer sex' no matter how strong and dominant they are, ends them up in a. bad. way.

Sigh.

Popular Posts