Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Scones and Bones by Laura Childs (Tea Shop #12)

Book 12 in the Tea Shop Mysteries.

Personally, I can't believe Child's is up to book twelve in this series!  I had no idea this book had been released until the Mother said she had picked it up.  However, if you have just found this series, Scones and Bones is strong as a stand alone - you need not have read the previous books in the series to follow what is going on.  This is also not a real involved mystery series, rather just pure brain fluff.  Each book is more like being reacquainted with a quirky set of friends. 

Theodosia, owner of the Indigo Tea Shop, has been invited to Charleston's Historical Society's gala Pirate exhibit.  The evening is cut short when a young volunteer and a staff member are attacked when they inadvertently walk in on the theft of Blackbeard's mug - the skull of Blackbeard made into a drinking vessel, prized for the large diamond that adorns it. 

Timothy, the Historical Society's director pleads with Theo and Drayton, Theo's master tea blender, to investigate the tragic events.  Theodoisia reluctantly agrees, putting herself on the wrong side of Detective Tidwells graces yet again, and soon finds herself drawn into the mystery of Blackbeards Treasure. 

I enjoyed book twelve.  I still have my usual set of complaints - for example, if a detective says, 'stay put, I need to call for back up', the heroine shouldn't be running off after a suspect.  If I were Tidwell, I would charge her for gross negligence or interference or something.  At some point, let the law do it's thing.  I'm also a bit disappointed that Tidwell is supposed to be a very good detective, yet he's almost played for a fool.  And of course, there is no way one girl is going to be putting out the dishes from a "tiny kitchen" to feed the masses of people coming through the door of the tea store.  I know, I know, I need to just suspend my disbelief and go with the flow, no pun intended....

Like I mentioned at the start of the post, these are brain candy books, filled with tidbits about tea, recipes, an eclectic cast of characters all set in the beautiful city of Charleston.  I finished this in a day. 

No comments:

Popular Posts