Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

Recipe Review from 12/12/11

A typical week: the usual work and yoga classes; a work Holiday Party on Tuesdaynight, an emergency run to the Vet on Wednesday, errands on Thursday, and was exhausted by the weekend. 

...wait, what was that bit about the vet?  Yup. Wednesday morning I found a severe puncture wound on one of Andy-pup's back legs.  He was in no immediate danger as the wound looked a couple days old - but it looked bad.  After thinking it over during my Wednesday meeting, I decided I wanted it checked for infection or embedded objects.  So, Wednesday night  I got to my vet a little before 5pm, and walked out at 6:18pm. Finally home by 7p. Thank god I brought a book (bkgrp book in fact!)   

It was a severe laceration and not a puncture wound. Dr said it was the second one they saw that day and it was already starting to heal nicely. They cleaned it up and he's on antibiotics for the next 10 days. AND, he has a severe yeast infection in BOTH ears.  Like major yucko. Lucky me - daily ear cleanings for the next week, daily ear meds, then going to weekly ear cleanings, then bi-monthly. I really don't like cleaning ears...grosses me out. ((sigh)) It is imperative to clear this up so we can ascertain if the little guy has allergies. We go back in two weeks to check ears. A positive about getting him when I did! That and I liked the Dr. - new to me - he was really positive and thorough for being so late at night and short notice. 

I won't even describe the "cone" debacle.  Andy does not do the head cone (if you've had pets, you know what I'm talking about). Abject failure. 


Any way, I managed to make one new recipe last week, and a slow cooker one at that so my weekly goal of one slowcooked meal continues.

White Bean and Hominy Chili  (Ckng Lght, Dec 2011)
This was just okay.  I love a good bean chili, but this just didn't quite meet my standards.  Husband was also less than thrilled with it.  It was more like a soup than a chili, was kind of bland, and seemed to lack flavor.  The Husband felt the beans had an odd texture - soft yet a bit crunchy.  Now, be advised that I did use my own dried beans for this and may not have cooked them enough.  Though I didn't notice that particular ailment.

I also skipped the whole "meatless Mexican chipotle sausage", because honestly, it was not to be found in two co-ops and one large supermarket in my corner of the world.  Decided not to substitute and omitted completely.   I won't be repeating this recipe.

  • 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 (4-ounce) meatless Mexican chipotle sausage (such as Field Roast), finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped white onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
  • 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (15.5-ounce) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 8 lime wedges

  • 1. Mash 2/3 cup beans with a fork.

    2. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add sausage, and sauté for 4 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and poblanos; sauté 6 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add mashed beans, whole beans, 1 1/2 cups water, and the next 4 ingredients (through hominy). Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in green onions and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

    No comments:

    Popular Posts