Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Recipe Review from 2/13/12

A strange week for sure.  Tuesday was Valentines Day and we, as usual went very low key. I made the Indian Curry Dish below, bought a small Chocolate Ganache cake from Mt. Royal (Duluth's "fancy" grocery store), and the Husband picked us up some sparkling Lambrusco. 

The week also brought news that the Husband's Dad was not doing well (worse than usual, he hasn't been well for the last year), and by Thursday he passed away.  As I write this, we are waiting news regarding a Memorial Service. 

Two crockpot dishes for the week, both from a new source A Year of Slowcooking or Crockpot365. 

Rice and Beans  (A Year of Slowcooking Blog)
What I liked about both of these recipes is they are plop and cook.  Very little or minimal pre-prep necessary (ie, no pre-cooking veggies or meat).  What I neglected to do was give all the ingredients a good stir before covering so my rice kinda cooked up in a big sheet.  A bit odd, but no biggie and I was able to crumble it up.  Oops!  I see I forgot to add the onion flakes too. Oh well, I did add one cup of corn which I recommend for color.  This made enough for 4 lunches for two of us. 


1 can of black beans  (I used soldier beans because I had some on hand)
1 can of pinto beans
1 cup of rice 

1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn (my addition)
1 T olive oil
1/2 t kosher salt
1 t Italian seasoning
1/2 T dried onion flakes

1) put the 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of your crockpot, and add the rice. Swirl the rice around in the olive oil, until it is coated nicely.

2) drain and rinse the beans, and add them

3) drain the tomatoes, but reserve the liquid in a measuring cup. I got a little under a cup of tomato juice. Add the tomatoes and frozen corn

4) add water to the measuring cup with tomato juice. You need 2 cups of liquid.

5) add seasonings stir well, and cover.

Cook on low for about 6 hours, or on high for 3-4. It is done when the rice is tender. Brown rice or wild rice will take longer to cook than white rice



Indian Curry  (A Year of Slowcooking Blog)
Oh my lucky stars! this was good! The downside was I was in a hurry to assemble this in the morning while pulling breakfast and lunches together for the day.  Prep took about 35 minutes.  It might be less for you if you aren't letting the dogs back in, feeding dogs, making coffee, etc... at the same time. 

The thing I don't care for with using frozen chicken thighs is I can't cut off the fat.  I'm really not wild about the big fat globs and will cut them off...can't do that if the buggers are frozen.  I also think this dish has enough moisture that cut up chicken breast would be fine. 

Loved the flavors on this one!  Was even better over the coming days.  Wished I had thought to grab some naan to serve with. 

1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk (don't use the light, it doesn't taste as good. or use the light and then stir in heavy cream at the end.)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
4-6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken thighs 
1 T tomato paste
2 T curry powder (not a typo, it's a lot, but it's good. Curry isn't spicy, just flavorful)
1 t ground coriander
1 t ground cumin
1 inch peeled and grated ginger
few dashes of hot sauce (I used Tobasco)  (I skipped)
1 yellow onion. chopped
2 or 3 cloves of smashed and chopped garlic   (I was short on time and skipped)

1 green red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 of an eggplant, peeled and chopped

1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped

Assemble all of your spices, coconut milk, tobasco sauce, and tomato paste. Combine the sauce ingredients in the bottom of your crockpot. The sauce will be a lovely yellow.

Add the chicken, flipping it over a few times to coat it nicely. Pour in the garbanzo beans.

Wash and chop all of the vegetables, and then add to the Crock-Pot. Don't worry about stirring them in the sauce. Let them sit on top of the chicken and steam away.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 4-6. Slowcooker365 notes - I cooked our dinner on high for almost 6 hours. The chicken was fully cooked, but still had shape, and the vegetables were soft and quite nice.

Stir carefully to mix flavors. If you stir too rough, the sweet potato will fall apart.

Serve over rice; (I used brown basmati). 

No comments:

Popular Posts