Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Recipe Review from 2/27/12

What's the saying for March? In like a Lion out like a Lamb?  Well, the lion roared on March 1st as he shook his mane and dumped something like a foot or more of snow along with 60mph winds.  It was best to just stay put and avoid any travel.  But the Lion spoke again on Saturday...sort of.  Duluth and suburbs got another 9" of the fluffy white stuff.  We, living 20+ miles outside of Duluth, got 1/2".   A localized phenomenon called "Lake Effect" where when weather conditions are just right along the great lakes, we get snow and lots of it.  Not uncommon in the Upper Peninsula of MI and over in NY to get 2' in a episode. 

We got to take advantage of this new bounty of snow at a work social for the Husband.  A trip to Mont Du Lac ski and tubing hills. After a social hour and dinner, the group went tubing!  I can't even recall the last time I went sledding and I don't think I've ever been tubing.  Oh my gosh! Loads of fun.  Can go down in singles, doubles, or groups.  With conifer covered in fresh snow, everything lit up by the lights, it was really awesome. 

However, to wrap up February:  busy busy busy.  Two weekends on the road put a kabosh on new recipes and I had to rely on pantry items.  Not a bad thing, really, I'm all for the occasional pantry reduction (actually, I encourage it! Good to rotate through the staples), but a bummer for new recipe count. 

Two notables from the last week of February, winners both:

Chicken with White BBQ Potatoes  (Ckng Lght, Mar 2012)
This was good good good!  And fairly quick too.  I had some leftover rotisserie chicken in the freezer so it was just a matter of remembering to take it out to thaw.  I started the potatoes right when I got home from work, and turned down the oven to 400* so I could have enough time to take hounds for a walk out back.  Then it was a matter of slightly shredding the chicken and mixing the sauce.  My one complaint is - no direction on whether or not one should warm the chicken up a bit.  I opted not to, but it was a bit odd having piping hot potato, and somewhat cold chicken and sauce. 

I also found that your basic 6oz potato was just a bit too large for my tastes.  I suggest smaller potatoes and serve a colorful veggie on the side.  Gluten free.

Photo from CookingLight.com
4 (6-ounce) Yukon gold or baking potatoes   (I used Yukons, err on the smaller side - 4-5 oz.  6 oz too big!)2/3 cup canola mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white vinegar

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon sugar 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/4 cup sliced green onions

1. Preheat oven to 450°.


2. Pierce potatoes with a fork, and coat lightly with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 50 minutes or until tender. Remove potatoes from oven, and cool slightly. Cut a lengthwise slit in each potato that goes to, but not through, the other side, and squeeze the ends to loosen potato flesh.


3. Combine mayonnaise and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a medium bowl. Stir in chicken and relish. Divide the chicken mixture evenly among potatoes. Top each potato with 1 tablespoon onions.


Julianna Grimes, Cooking Light
MARCH 2012


Camp Amnicon Dal over Rice  (via Yoga North studio)
This was just lovely - I enjoyed the flavors and the versatility.  Add some extra veggies like diced carrots for a bit of a nutritional boost.  Or omit if want this more soup-like.  This makes quite a bit - enough to feed the husband and I for four lunches.  Probably would freeze well if you only want to eat half and then save half for a later date.  I served it over wild rice because that's what I had in my pantry.  Not sure what to do with the leftover coconut milk?  Add it to your next smoothie!    Gluten and soy free. 

1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 - 14.9 oz (or 1- 29 oz can)  can's diced tomatoes (fire roasted recommended)
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1 cup red or brown lentils
**optional - veggies (like diced carrot, celery, etc)
Rice - brown, basmati, white, or wild is fine.   

Saute onion in oil or butter until soft (I like to caramelize slightly).  Add carrot and garlic and saute 3 minutes.  Add spices and saute 30 seconds.  Add broth, tomatoes, coconut milk and lentils.  Bring to a boil and simmer 25 minute or until lentils are soft.  Serve over rice. 





 



No comments:

Popular Posts