Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Winter Prey by John Sandford (Davenport #5)

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
From Goodreads.com: It's the dead of winter, and a killer like no other is turning a small Wisconsin town into a death trap-one that's closing in on Lucas Davenport.
This one felt a bit reminiscent of Eyes of Prey (#3) and Silent Prey (#4) in regards to the antagonist - Iceman - thinking in terms of himself and “the Beast inside”. As in “the Beast wanted to go kill them now”. The antagonist in the previous books thought of himself in terms of ‘Beauty’. Too similar for my taste and maybe when the books were first published, it wasn’t so bad given the lag in publishing dates, but since I’m reading them almost back to back, it popped out at me.

I was also disappointed in how quickly I figured this mystery out, and maybe it was Sandford’s intent that the antagonist be readily recognized by the reader. The red herrings being thrown about at the beginning were too obvious in my opinion and the set up all but screamed “I’m the bad guy!”. I won’t say who in case you haven’t read these yet.  So, I knew who the bad guy was about chapter 5ish and had to wait till chapter 21ish for confirmation.  ((sigh))

I am also curious if this one - I hate to use the term “inspired” - influenced would be a better word, Bad Blood in the Virgil Flowers series. Both touch on child molestation; murder can be unsettling enough, but toss in child abuse and the book can give a person the hebejebe’s in no time at all.

Yet it was good to finally see a different sort of mating dance from Lucas - the find the attractive woman, bed her, and find her dead was becoming tedious even after four books and I never did like the whole entrapment by child from the Jennifer character.  Nice change of pace introducing Weather.













View'>http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/892406-kristin">View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts