Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2012

Recipe Review from 5/14/2012

Garden is about half in.  There are still two beds left to till  - they need the corn stalks removed, which I think I'll leave for the Husband and his stronger back.  If you are thinking, Gosh, it's getting kinda late to plant, I would have to say, No, actually, we're planting early this year!  Welcome to life by the Big Pond, where you run the risk of re-planting everything if you stick it in before Memorial Day.  For example, it was 38* one morning this past week!  Yeah, still a bit cool.   Our frost free date is about June 7, but we've had cool weather even later than that.

Meanwhile, with temps hitting the mid 70's in the afternoons, it's time to pull out some salad recipes.  The first one is not a new recipe, but I wasn't blogging the first time I made it so it warrants a review.   I actually had three recipes planned, but we had more leftovers than I anticipated and we went out to Gordy's Hi-Hat in Cloquet one nice evening. 



Black Bean Taco Salad with Lime Vinaigrette Recipe  (Ckng Light, 2000)
Again, not a new recipe but I couldn't tell you when I made it the first time.  I found this online, then when I went to find the recipe in my 2001 Annual, saw that I had already made it.   This is a nice change from what many of us in the Midwest consider a 'taco salad'.  The dressing is nice and tangy without being overwhelming (skip the cilantro if you don't like it) and the chicken and black beans go great together.  I toss the dressing with the

Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato   (I used cherry tomatoes, not seeded)
Photo from AllRecipes.com
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, peeled   (skipped because I was lazy)

Salad:
1 1/2 cups chopped ready-to-eat roasted skinned, boned chicken breast (about 2 breasts)  (I used a rotisserie chicken)1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup finely diced red onion   (I skipped because I was too lazy to go to the garden and get some green onion)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained 4 cups fat-free baked tortilla chips (about 4 ounces)

8 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce   (I use spinach, or a spring greens mix, or a spinach/baby kale/baby chard mix)

To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 11 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.

To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients except chips in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss well to coat. Serve with chips.   Combine salad ingredients except lettuce and cheese.  Drizzle dressing over this and mix well.  Layer greens, salad ingredients, and cheese and add chips if you want.  (Some people don't like chips in their salad.)   This also prevents the greens from getting gross if there are leftovers. 

Cooking Light
JULY 2000


White Bean and Roasted Chicken Salad  (Ckng Lght June 2004)
Well, wouldn't ya know it, I already made this one too!  This comes together very quickly and I prefer it served over a bed of greens.  Add a little crumbled goat cheese if you like to dress it up. 

Cannellini beans, or white kidney beans, are smaller than Great Northern beans and add just the right texture. Great for picnics or lazy-day suppers, this salad stirs together in a flash.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)

Salad:
photo from AllRecipes.com
2 cups coarsely chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/3 cup sliced fresh basil
2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained

Dressing:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced   (skipped 'cause I'm lazy)


To prepare salad, place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir gently to combine.

To prepare dressing, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over salad, tossing gently to coat.

No comments:

Popular Posts