Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Easy Prey by John Sandford (Davenport #11)

Easy Prey (Lucas Davenport, #11)Easy Prey by John Sandford


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


From Goodreads.com:  In this episode, Davenport is called to a house after an A-list party has taken place there. Alie'e Maison, a top model, has been found strangled, and evidence shows that she ingested drugs and recently made love--most probably to a woman. Before Lucas leaves the house, things get even more complicated: a second body is found stuffed in a closet with a deep dent in the skull. In addition, one of Lucas's own men had been at the party and is now a suspect.


As always, Lucas's own life is not exempt from complications. An ex-lover comes back into his world--a woman he has never been able to forget--and she has secrets of her own. Also making an appearance this time out is a childhood friend to whom he turns for advice about women and life. Sister Mary Joseph, born Elle Kruger, is a professor of psychology and one of the computer brains who helps Lucas design his software. He calls her Nun the Wiser, and he often turns to her for spiritual as well as more concrete advice. Lucas is going to need all the help he can get to unravel his case as secrets pile upon secrets and the ground constantly shifts under his feet.

Easy Prey is another powerful link in this chain of muscular, exciting thrillers by one of the most distinguished practitioners in the field
I really enjoyed this audiobook - definitely on par with some of the first Davenport books. For once, Sandford didn't keep interjecting what the killer was doing. In fact, in the one and only spot where we had a 'look' at the murder's point-of-view, it felt out of place and incomplete. That glimpse could have been left out completely without any detriment to the plot. It was also a nice change of plot devise that there wasn't any huge shoot-out at the end.


My only other complaint was with the jacket description - the only thing the blurb got right was the house party and the murders. I really don't like misleading covers. Sets up a false impression of the book that is hard to dispel - I keep waiting for the thing on the jacket blurb to happen, which it never does, and I'm left feeling quite annoyed.


You'll have to read the book yourself to find out what I'm referring too. I can't say too much more about this one lest I give anything away. A nicely convoluted book that had me happy I was hitting red lights on my daily commute.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts