This trip I got smart. I did some simple meal planning ahead of time so I could come home, unpack and the only thing I would have to do, would be laundry.
Did I mention the simple bit? That's the key - I already had enough going on pre-trip that I didn't want to get elaborate. Post trip is busy enough catching up at work and with yoga. No new recipes here. Have I mentioned lately that the crockpot is your friend? Repeat after me, the crockpot is my friend.
Here's what I did ahead of time:
1) Have the Husband make is favorite crockpot chili. Freeze for lunches. Badabing! Badaboom!
2) Pre-buy some Frito's scoops and apples for lunches (apples are NOT going to go bad in a week in the fridge). Set aside. Let family know apples and chips are off limits.
3) FREEZER REDUCTION! Yes!
- I had some leftover Wild Rice Soup that I froze. One dinner. Maybe two.
- Two leftover Jamaican Bean patties that are getting a bit freezer burned. Tater tots to go with. Use leftover frozen buns. One dinner.
- 8oz left of 16oz andoulli sausage from a previous meal - serve with tater tots. One dinner.
- pre-buy spagetti ingredients (not a freezer item...)
So here's how my meal plan looked once I plotted it out; keeping in mind that I knew I wouldn't get to the grocery store until Tuesday. When meal planning, don't forget to look at the evening's activities and plan around those!
Sun lunch - spagetti
supper - veggie burgers and tater tots
Mon (K yoga, bkgrp) - Husband gets leftover spagetti
Tues - Wild Rice Soup
Wed - (Husband work function) I get leftover soup
Thurs - (K yoga) leftover soup/canned soup if no leftovers
Fri - Sausage and tater tots
Lunches - Chili, Frito scoops, apples, carrots, luna bars
Breakfasts - oatmeal and english muffins or eggy sandwiches
So what did I buy ahead?
- English muffins (versitile!)
- eggs (eggs will easily keep in the fridge over a week long vacation).
- tater tots
- spagetti and spagetti sauce
- veggie burgers
- andoulli sausage
- can evaporated milk (for oatmeal and morning tea)
- tomato soup
- evaporated milk for oatmeal and tea (was supposed to be for pumpkin pie, but it works as a great milk substitute)
So my grocery shopping list is going to be pretty small. SWEET!!
- goat milk
- frozen fruit (ran out before I left)
- cheese slices for grilled cheese (last minute decision. I LOVE grilled cheese with soup.)
- and some non-food essentials
Again, this is what works for me. Nothing elaborate the week after and an emphasis on using what I've got stashed. And the crockpot is my friend. :)