Search This Blog

Monday, December 24, 2012

Recipe Review from 12/17/12

The big news, the world did not end.

The small news...the lumber started showing up for the Man-barn. The snow missed us.  It got cold.

At this posting, I'm just about ready for the Holiday Weekend.  The Family is doing a get-together at a Waterpark in Wisconsin, and we're all a bit concerned about the road conditions after the blizzard.  Gifts are wrapped, the potluck chili's are made and in the fridge, cheese and crackers bought, dogs appointment with the kennel confirmed, Christmas music uploaded to the iPod...just need to pack the clothes, swimsuit and snowsuit. 

And, with all the preparation for Waterpark Weekend going on, I made a couple more new recipes!

Breakfast Rice  (Vegetarian Slowcooker by Judith Finlayson)
This was a nice change from oatmeal.  The vanilla rice milk added plenty of sweetness so no further sugar, syrup or honey was necessary.  I liked the dried cranberries, but I'm wondering what frozen fruit might taste like.  I might have to give it a try with some cherries or raspberries I've got in the freezer.  Super easy - assemble just before bed and it's ready to go when you get up.  Reheats nicely with a bit of added liquid.    GF and Vegan

1 cup brown rice
4 cups vanilla flavored enriched rice drink
1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries   (I used cranberries)

Combine in a slowcooker.  Cook for 3 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.  The author notes that the rice is a tich on the cruchy side (al dente) with quantities above.  Add additional 1/2 cup rice drink or water if you prefer it not al dente.


Squash and Black Bean Chili (Vegetarian Slowcooker by Judith Finlayson)
Noticed a trend?  Yeah, I Heart my Crockpot very much!  This was the vegetarian chili I made for the Weekend Waterpark potluck supper.   A nice complement of veggies, a dash of beans...at the time I'm writing this I'm hoping half the group will like it.  The other half is getting a traditional meat chili.

The butternut squash makes a sweeter chili than your usual meat-based. Add in the chili powder and you get a hot/sweet thing going on. The addition of one cinnamon stick is a nice touch - adds more backgound nuance to the butternut.

This got mixed reviews from the group - but then they are a picky bunch and I'm not sure if anything would have made all of them happy.   This does make quite a bit: easily 8 servings or enough for lunches for a week.  GF and Vegan

2 onions, chopped  (I used one...)
4 garlic cloves, chopped  (I used three)
2 green peppers, chopped (I used 1/2 yellow, 1/2 red)
4 cups butternut squash, cut into bite sized pieces
3 stalks celery, chopped   (my addition)
1 14oz can black beans, rinsed and drained.
1 28oz can diced tomatoes, with juice (do not drain!)
1 4oz can mild green chilies
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregan
1 tsp salt
1 cinnamon stick
1 chili in adobe sauce Optional  (I skipped due to group tastes)
1 tbsp tomato sauce to thicken the juices a bit.   

**Note - author calls to saute everything except squash and beans before slowcooking.

1) Combine in a slowcooker;  cook on low 8 hours, cook on high 4 hours.   I added the tomato paste toward the end as this is going to sit for a day before serving. 



No comments:

Popular Posts