Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2012

Silver Bourne by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson #5)

Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5)Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

My rating: 3 of 5 stars




From Goodreads.com:  When Mercy Thompson, mechanic and shape-shifter, attempts to return a powerful fae book she previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down.

It seems the book contains secrets -- and the fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side -- leaving Mercy to cover for him lest his own father declare Samuel's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she may not have many more...



Of the urban fantasy's I've been reading, this is probably my least favorite series.  That is not to imply that I don't enjoy the books when I read them, it's just that I struggle a bit more with the main character and some of the situations she ends up in.  Despite the fantasy setting and that our heroine is a coyote shifter who's being woo'd by her werewolf mate, our protagonist reminds me of Theodosia Browning in the Tea Shop Mysteries who also drives me bonkers.

Neither one of them can really keep their nose out of trouble and I get a bit tired of that trope.  Why it bugs me with female leads and not male leads, I don't rightly know nor can I explain.

In this book, Mercedes is still recovering from being assaulted in book 3 (you can read my thoughts on that here), is trying to reconcile being mated to the Alpha wolf of the local pack, and being part of a pack in general. Her roommate is teetering on the edge of suicide/going wolf, either of which means death, someone is screwing with her head and a friend's father has gone missing.  Yup, Miss Mercy seems to attract trouble like honey attracts wasps.

It becomes...tiresome.   It becomes a lot like, "Really?  You're getting attacked again by nasty fae who have a vendetta against you because of something you did to help the vampires against the the fae in book whatever?  And the vampires still have a vendetta against you because you helped the wolves in book whatever? And the wolves don't like you because you're a coyote who's boinking their leader?"

On top of that, the series is starting to read like a romance book with decorations of fantasy.

So, I liked this book for the pleasant diversion it offered on a 4 1/2 hour plane flight followed by a 3 hour shuttle ride.  I'll probably read book 6.  Eventually. Maybe.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts