Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher (Harry Dresden #3)

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




Jacket blurb: In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

This series is pure brain candy for me.  I'm not looking for a lot of substance from these books, I want my urban fantasy action fast, fun and interesting and this series is hitting all those criteria.

So, now that I've gushed, I will voice my tiny complaints, but remember, I'm really not looking for a literary masterpiece here.  I want to be entertained.

So, to begin, we suddenly have a sidekick appear in book three.  It was nicely explained that this particular fellow (Michael, very righteous guy) helped Harry kill a evil Sorcerer prior to the beginning of the book, and now he's helping with an unexplained ghost problem.  Still, a little disconcerting.

Harry is put through the wringer, is assaulted, tormented, and eventually ends up nekkid...again.  Amusing the first time, moderately interesting the second time, third time, it's time to get a new plot devise.  Seriously. And wizard or no, the human body can only take so much abuse.  He should be suffering from PTSD by now or at least the manifestation of aches and pains from so much physical strain.

Someone has to do something really dumb at least once in the book and cause Harry no end of problems.  Susan, the girlfriend, nicely stepped forward to do so. 

With all that being said, I felt the authors writing and characters really started to settle into place in this book.  The pace of the plot just drew me along, I enjoyed the dialog, and was happily entertained.



View all my reviews
  


No comments:

Popular Posts