Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Recipe Review from 2/25/13

Another busy week what with bookgroup, an extra yoga class to sub, and a trip to the Cities for the Nephew's first birthday.  I needed quick dishes that would have leftovers and this line up certainly worked. 


[Trout] with Olive and Red Pepper Couscous  (Ckng Lght March 2013)
I want a do-over on this recipe!  I forgot to buy some Israeli couscous when I was at the Co-op and just assumed my standard grocery store would have it.  Not this time.  Which was okaaay...because I did have some regular couscous I needed to use up anyway.  But I'm not fond of regular couscous see, which was why it was languishing in my cupboard.

Then halfway through the meal I realized I completely forgot the olives!  How could I have forgotten the olives!  Drat and bother.

Otherwise, this was a good and quick dish.  We subbed Lake Trout for the halibut (any white fish will do, really) and I baked the asparagus along with the trout.  I adjusted the cooking times accordingly (my trout took about 25 minutes in the oven); the couscous about 5 on the stove. 
Photo from CookingLight.com
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup uncooked Israeli couscous
  • 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless halibut fillets
  • 4 teaspoons torn fresh oregano
  • 2 lemons, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
  1. Preheat broiler to high.
  2. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add couscous; cook 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in olives, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
  3. Sprinkle halibut evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add fillets to pan; cook 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat; turn fillets over. Arrange torn oregano and lemon slices evenly over fillets. Place pan in oven. Broil 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve fish with couscous.

No comments:

Popular Posts