Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness

After months of counting down, torturing everyone with updates on how many weeks/days/hours I was till the opening of Into Darkness, I finally got to plunk my tush in a seat, kick back, and enjoy the show.

Plot summary from Paramount Pictures: When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew. 

And enjoy it I did!  The movie starts fast, moves fast, with fast action and even faster ships.  We have a BIG ship facing off against the suddenly little Enterprise, which was very cool.  We had ships popping out of oceans, crashing into oceans, and fighting in warp drive.

Lots of homage to the original Trek movies - which I won't spoil here - and could almost have been the detraction to the movie.  On one hand, it's new to anyone under oh, 30, and for anyone over about 40, a nice way to tip the hat so to speak to the franchise.  But perhaps a bit overdone?

I LOVED the antagonist, John Harrison and how the movie actually made you wonder if he really was the bad guy.  Dark, brooding, and sexy, I was rooting for him anyway.   

Less romantic crap in this installment which I highly approve of. Not wild about romance in my scifi. On the other hand, we did have our crew connecting in more meaningful ways as they try and understand each others motivations. 

It was well done, it had it's "ahh....ummm's", and I enjoyed every minute, even when they managed to jerk those tears out and I knew damn well what was actually going to happen. 

If you like Trek, if you like scifi, and if you like action, you'll like Into Darkness.  


No comments:

Popular Posts