Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher (Dresden #7)

Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Jacket Blurb:  When a killer vampire threatens to destroy head of Special Investigations Karrin Murphy's reputation unless Harry delivers the powerful Word of Kemmler to her, he has no choice. Now Harry is in a race against time to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead.
 
The short review:  Harry goes up against impossible odds and survives.  Again.

The long review:  Harry goes up against impossible odds, doesn't realize his friends can make their own decisions, learns the hard way that he can't save everyone (again), kisses a girl, and kicks some dark wizardry butt (again) but this time with a zombie Tyranasaurus Rex named Sue.  Now that was pretty darn cool.

Butcher used an interesting take on necromancy and zombies that I found refreshing, doubly so since I'm not big on the whole zombie fetish right now. 

But I find that our wizard Dresden still has a massively over inflated ego, that only he and he alone can protect the whole of Chicago from the nasties and that only he knows what's best for his friends.  It's the World vs Dresden.  This becomes...annoying.

My other complaint (that I will write about) with this particular book is there is so much fantastical improbability happening it is impossible to even begin to describe it.  For a series that is pushing the bounds of plausibility this one went right over the proverbial the waterfall and left me bobbing around the pool snorting in derision and shaking my head in light disgust. 

That being said, I did enjoy the book (did I mention the Tyrannosaurus Rex?).  This is a straight-up your brain-on-sugar and caffeine kind of series.  As my friend continues to remind me - don't think, enjoy.

I agree.  Go forth and enjoy.   But don't think too hard about the plot. 

View all my reviews





No comments:

Popular Posts