Search This Blog

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Blackwork by Monica Ferris (Crewel World #13)

Blackwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #13)Blackwork by Monica Ferris

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Jacket blurb:  It's Halloween-and Betsy Devonshire, owner of the Crewel World needlework shop and part-time sleuth, is haunted by murder...

In the town of Excelsior, Minnesota, Leona Cunningham, owner of a popular microbrewery, is a practitioner of Wicca, the nature-based religion often mistaken for black magic. But that doesn't bother the thirsty crowds. Then, after one too many pints, a local blames Leona for the series of "accidents" that have happened throughout town. When he ends up dead without a mark on his body, Leona's the main suspect. But Betsy's on the case, and that spells trouble for the killer.


Another light, fun, 'cozie' that I polished off in a couple of days.   This one was stronger than the previous installment, with a bit more character development and background building.  It moves along quickly, with all of the series favorite characters making at least one appearance and introducing a couple new faces. 

I liked how this one played around Halloween, incorporating a bit of Wiccanism, a fair amount of brewing information, and a Halloween parade.  Now that is kinda cool! 

My main complaint with this book is there is still the attitude that the local detective is still unable to figure out a crime, yet, by simply going around and asking all her friends repeated questions, Besty is able to reason things out in no time at all.  Now I will fully admit, my thoughts on this matter are probably driven by the police procedurals that I have taken a fancy to, and I have to remind myself, these are just brain candy books.  Read, and enjoy.

Which I did.  Recommended - not really necessary to have read the previous twelve.



View all my reviews



No comments:

Popular Posts