Search This Blog

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Small Favors by Jim Butcher (Dresden #10)

Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)Small Favor by Jim Butcher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Jacket Blurb:  No one's tried to kill Harry Dresden for almost an entire year, and his life finally seems to be calming down. For once, the future looks fairly bright. But the past casts one hell of a long shadow.

An old bargain has placed Harry in debt to Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, the Queen of Air and Darkness-and she's calling in her marker. It's a small favor he can't refuse...one that will trap Harry Dresden between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally, and one that will strain his skills- and loyalties-to their very limits.

It figures. Everything was going too well to last...


Big action scene! Evil nasties are coming fast and they have automatic military grade rifles! A girl is in peril!  Blasting rod ready and magical shield is up!  Annnnddd.....PAUSE! while Harry reminisces about a past fight, explains who the bad guys are and where they came from, elaborates on what this particular spell is supposed to do and explains why he can't hit a girl.

Okay!  Hit resume!

I've got whiplash from the steady acceleration of an impending action scene and then the sudden stop while Harry explains, pontificates, or has a flashback.

The rest of the book is the standard Dresden standing up to the bad guys with a lot of help from his friends.  Except in this one, we get to see a plethora of evil bad guys and more of Dresden's friends, even some new ones.  We also have a total OMG! OMG! OMG! moment.  Which I can't talk about lest I spoil anything.  Despite my snarky comments, I was shoving the CD's as fast as I could into my car player. 

The Dresden books are a sugar-free, warm donut with white frosting and sprinkles hit just for the brain.  I need more donuts...



View all my reviews



No comments:

Popular Posts