Search This Blog

Monday, May 5, 2014

Recipe Review from 4/28/14

A week of 30* (0*C) temps and a mixture of wet and frozen precipitation had us hunkering down inside.  I think the only things that are enjoying this so-called spring rain are the ducks and my dogs.  It was a week for warm and hearty stew.  

The weekend however was fantastic!  No rain, the sun actually came out, and the Husband made the comment that Sunday was probably the nicest day we've had in a year.  We got the dog's kennel torn apart and the pavers redone (we're replacing the kennel), some ancient garbage cleaned up from a ravine behind the house (two loads of glass to the recycling place), a bit of chain sawing happened, and I fit in my first bike ride of the year!  A very good weekend indeed - which was nice because the forecast is for rain the rest of the week. 

We had some leftovers from the previous week that slid over into this meal plan, which is okay - means we're not wasting anything. Yay!

Sat - leftover turkey tacos
Sun - leftover brats
Mon (yoga/bkgrp/Legion mtg)
Tues - Homey Chicken Stew
Wed - leftovers
Thurs - leftovers
Fri - leftovers
Sat - yes, more leftovers


Homey Chicken Stew (modified; Slow Cooker Revolution, America's Test Kitchen)
This made a bit more than expected because I was rushing and didn't pay attention to my chicken quantities.  I should have set aside about 1lb of chicken thighs from the packages and I didn't.  Excess chicken aside, this dish was outstanding.   The chicken was fall apart tender, the flavors were perfect, and I loved the consistency - not quite soup, not quite stew.  This was not a chop and plot recipe, and I actually did follow the directions.  Mostly; my modifications are below. 

3 lb chicken (really, use just 3 lbs)
2 onions (I used 1)
6 cloves garlic, minced (I used 5)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/3 cup AP flour
1/4 cup white wine (I used water)
4 cups chicken broth, divided
12 oz potatoes, washed cut into 1/2" cubes
4 carrots, diced (I used chopped baby carrots)
1 bay leaf
1 cup peas (I used mixed veggies)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

1) Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.  Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan.  Lightly brown chicken on both sides.  Set in slow cooker.
2) In chicken pan, saute onion, garlic and thyme until just softened.  Add flour, stirring continuously for about 1 minute.  Add 1/4 cup wine, stirring.  Add 1 cup broth, stirring until mixture is thickened and bubbly.  Add tomato paste, stirring.  Add to chicken in slow cooker. 
3) Add potatoes, carrots and bay leaves. 
4) Add rest of broth.  Cover and cook 4 hours on high, 6-9 hours on low.
5)  Remove chicken and lightly shred, return to cooker and add peas.  Cook another 30 minutes.  Serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious!

That's the good thing about soups and stews --- they'll allow for a little extra or a little less of most things and still taste good.

Karl A. said...

When does the new maximum security kennel arrive?

Popular Posts