The meal plan from the week previous slid over into last week, starting with a selection of the Husband's choosing. We slow cooked a chicken on Sunday (note, 4-5 hours is perfect in the slow cooker, anything longer and it develops an odd texture) and made the leftovers into the salad below. This took us into the weekend and my trip.
Kale, Swiss Chard and Chicken Salad (AllRecipes.com) gluten free
This recipe utilized the bumper crop of Swiss Chard and kale we have growing this year. Though I have to admit every year seems like a bumper crop with these dark leafy greens...
This was an excellent salad. Dressing has just the right amount of sweetness to counter the (dare I say?) lightly bitter greens. The feta is the perfect counterpoint to both greens and dressing and the walnuts add just the perfect nutty crunch. This was a surprisingly filling salad! I do recommend keeping the dressing separate from the salad until serving, then let folks dress their bowl accordingly.
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) container crumbled feta cheese, or more to taste
- 1/3 cup raisins (craisin's are really good too)
- 1/3 cup chopped, toasted walnuts