Search This Blog

Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Good, The Bad, and the Uncanny by Simon R. Green (#10)

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny by Simon R. Green

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




Jacket Blurb:  Things were going so well for P.I. John Taylor, that it was only a matter of time before everything hit the fan. Walker, the powerful, ever-present, never?to-be-trusted agent who runs the Nightside on behalf of The Authorities, is dying. And he wants John to be his successor-a job that comes with more baggage, and more enemies, than anyone can possibly imagine.

I really enjoyed #10.  It has the right combination of characters, tongue in cheek humor, philosophical reflection, and action to make this a page turner for me.  And the ending did - and didn't - surprise me.  The reader who's read these in order will know what is coming, but how it comes about is rather fascinating.  

My one complaint, and it's not really much of one, was the repetition.  Still with the "I opened my private eye, my third eye...".   Some of the descriptions of Nightside I've felt I've read before.  Perhaps some descriptive paragraphs have been cut, pasted, and re-worded a bit?  After Walker and John take yet another stroll around Nightside, I was beginning to feel like there was some filler scenes happening.  A lot like, Yup, yup, Street of the Gods, been there, done that...

As I said, small complaint.  Overall I was quite happily entertained and picked up the next one at the library when I dropped #10 off.  This might be my favorite to date. 

Recommended.  Also recommend starting at the beginning of the series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts