Search This Blog

Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly (McCaleb #2/Bosch #7)

A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2)A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Jacket Blurb:  Terry McCaleb, the retired FBI agent who starred in the bestseller "Blood Work," is asked by the LAPD to help them investigate aseries of murders that have them baffled. They are the kind of ritualized killings McCaleb specialized in solving with the FBI, and he is reluctantly drawn from his peaceful new life back into the horror and excitement of tracking down a terrifying homicidal maniac. More horrifying still, the suspect who seems to fit the profile that McCaleb develops is someone he has known and worked with in the past: LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch.

Read as an audiobook.  As I noted in the title, this book was Terry McCaleb #2 and Harry Bosch #7 in their respective series.  Narrator changed again since Angels Flight (#6), though this might have been done on purpose since most of the book was from McCaleb's point of view?  I don't know, I'm speculating here.

I really enjoyed this book.  The way the investigation and the court trial slowly unrolled was perfectly paced.  The two investigators points of views was an interesting technique to use, and dare I say, a nice break from our pure cranky-pants Bosch point of view.  I found the way McCaleb would tease at a thread and pull it to see where it would lead interesting, but that also lead to my main complaint with the book:

The murder-mystery set up was too obvious.  Like, smacked over the head with a book obvious in my opinion.  I had the who-done-it figured out almost immediately and had to (im)patiently wait to see if I was correct (which I was).  So, pacing was still good, foreshadowing more of a sunny day than any kind of mystery, the two main characters interacting well done.

My other complaint with this book was I thought the ending was about 5 chapters too long.  Sometimes it's nice to have  "wrap up" and character resolution, but in this case it came across like the author just couldn't figure out where to cut it off. 

Recommended, especially if you've read the first 6 Harry Bosch books. 



View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts