Search This Blog

Monday, May 11, 2015

Recipe Review from 5/4/2015

A very productive and relaxing weekend.  Saturday the Husband worked on the chicken coop (rafters are up and roof partially done) while I tackled the garden. I weeded and tilled five vegetable beds, cleaned out three flower beds, cut the dead canes out of the raspberry patch and did some weeding in the garden paths.  I had enough energy left to put out a handful of my yard statutes. No planting though, not seeds or seedlings - we have a spurt of 30* (0*C) temps and rain coming and that's too cool for even my cold weather seeds.  I can wait. 

Since we are still living at my Folks place while the house is remodeled, I haven't been doing much in the way of meal planning.  The Mother has been making us a plethora of tasty slow cooked dishes, which gives us all a bit more free time to walk dogs in the evening.  Very much appreciated.


Cheesy Enchilada Rice Skillet (Damn D
photo from Damn Delicious Blog
elicious Blog
via  Pinterest)
I found this on Pinterest and sent it to my sister, who is gluten free and needs higher protein dishes.  She made it that night with rave reviews.  I sent the link to my friend Tess who made it in her next meal rotation and she came back with rave reviews - her kids aren't fond of rice and they ate this dish.  She gave me the suggestion for the addition of shredded chicken.  So I slid it into the group meal plan, substituting brown rice for white and adding part of shredded rotisserie chicken, and it got good reviews.  Would have had better reviews if I had grabbed a can of black beans instead of the nasty kidney beans, but it all worked out. 

This is quick, it does not require finishing in the oven or under the broiler (but you could if you wanted), and is pretty versatile:  Use brown or white rice.  Use whatever beans appeal to you.  Play with the heat/seasonings.

This did serve four adults with enough leftovers for two.  I had a bag of Tostida's Scoops and picante sauce along side. 
  • 1 cup uncooked rice (I used on bag of Uncle Ben's Brown boil in a bag)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup canned corn kernels, drained  (I used frozen corn)
  • 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup 1- 10oz can Old El Paso™ mild enchilada sauce (use "hot" if you want more kick or for adult tastebuds)
  • my addition - one little can diced green chilies, drained
  • 1/2 cup Old El Paso™ mild green enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon oregano 
  • my addition - 2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  1. In a large saucepan of 1 1 /2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes
  3. Stir in rice, corn, black beans, green chilies, chicken, enchilada sauces, chili powder, cumin and oregano until well combined and heated through, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  4. Remove from heat and top with cheese. Cover until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
  5. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro.

No comments:

Popular Posts