Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2015

Recipe Review from 7/20/2015

I'm totally loving this summer weather we've been having!  Warm days, cool nights, bit of rain to kick the dust out of the air, all of which has made my flowers and yard are absolutely lush with color.  

Meal-wise it's meant easy and quick recipes - items that require little assembly and don't heat up the kitchen.  The two below fit the bill perfectly.

The Meal Plan:
Sun - Salmon Pasta Salad with vinaigrette dressing
Mon (yoga) leftover pasta salad
Tues - Grilled Caprese Sandwiches
Wed - Grilled Caprese sandwiches
Thurs - pizza on the grill (local take 'n bake)
Fri - Southwestern Salad
Sat - (out and about)


 Grilled Caprese Sandwich (I Heart Naptime via Pinterest)  vegetarian, gluten free option**
This is one of those, "why didn't I think of this!"  Use any combination of breads (sourdough, italian, whole grain, herb) with tomatoes, pesto, and mozzarella.  I did use fresh mozzarella which took a tiny bit longer to melt.   Perfect for a hot summer evening supper on the porch.
Photo from I Heart Naptime Blog
  • 2 slices sourdough bread**  (I used rustic Italian)
  • 1-2 TB butter
  • 1-2 TB pesto with basil
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 2 slices mozzarella cheese (I used fresh mozza)
Warm frying pan over medium heat. Butter both sides of your bread and then grill one side. Once it has browned, flip bread over to brown other side. Turn heat to low. Then place pesto on the grilled side and the cheese on top. Allow cheese to melt a little, then place tomatoes on top of the cheese followed by the top piece of bread. Enjoy!



Southwestern Chopped Salad (The Garden Grazer via Pinterest)  vegetarian, gluten free 
This was so easy it was almost ridiculous - a handful of items to chop, toss everything in a big bowl, mix the dressing and toss again.  Now I did a handful of changes to bring out flavors - I sauteed the corn in a bit of olive oil while prepping the rest of the veggies.  I don't even thaw the corn, I just toss right into the hot skillet. I set aside and let cool while mixing the dressing.  I did give the garlic a quick saute to mellow the harshness you sometimes get with raw.  And I did add honey and cumin to the dressing because I love honey and cumin.    Start to table?  Maybe 30 minutes. 

Great on it's own, or serve with some corn chips and salsa.  Recommended.

Gorgeous Photo from The Garden Grazer Blog
Large head of romaine 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained  (I used  ~10oz organic baby spinach)
1 large orange bell pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes
2 cups corn (I used frozen, thawed, lightly sauted)
5 green onions (I used 1/4 of a red onion, vertically sliced)
Optional: avocado

1 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
1/2 avocado (or 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt)
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime), more to taste
1-2 garlic cloves  (I sauteed after the corn was done)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/8 tsp. salt
Recommended: agave/honey, cumin

Directions
Make the dressing: puree all ingredients in a food processor/blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Finely chop romaine, bell pepper, tomatoes, and green onions.
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
Toss with desired dressing.

No comments:

Popular Posts